Monday, November 2, 2015

Solo Travel IS and IS NOT



Solo travel is a blessing and a curse.

Solo travel is something you might have to do for work, and you might hate it. Or as a single person, not in a relationship, it might be something that you also dread. All the happy couples in travel ads and their great deals might drive you crazy, especially when you learn of the added ("single supplement") travel costs.

But as a traveller, I want to assure you, it's not something to fear. You could choose to embrace it, as I have. But, you might also have to explain yourself constantly, as I do.

So here's a helpful list that you can point to when your Mother/Husband/Boss/Neighbour asks you why you're going alone.


Solo Travel is NOT:
  • about being unhappy
  • about running away
  • about hooking up
  • about hating your family
  • about baggage and compromise 
  • about letting family hijack your itinerary
  • paying for others to join you
  • posed vacation photos 
  • listening to others complain about your choice of museum 
  • waiting for your group to decide
  • exhausting, like trying to please and accommodate everyone is

Sol Travel IS: 
  • about having your own goals
  • about having your own dreams
  • about exploring and learning 
  • faster and further than with a group
  • less expensive
  • eating what and where you want to 
  • fulfilling and healthy
  • about meditation and spirituality 
  • satisfying 
  • energizing, not draining
  • about being an adult
  • selfies in cool locations
  • not having to pack for 4, book a kennel or find a house sitter
  • about me, not you 

For me, in addition to being all of the items on the preceding lists, is a chance to get the heck away from people and their demands. I often work 7 days a week, and 12 hours at a time. On a slow day I could cook and clean for 100 people, on a busy day 300. It's exhausting! When I get a chance for a break I want to head straight to the ocean and just sit, and be alone. I want to listen to the waves and be still. I want solitude. I want to get away from the cooking, cleaning and serving. I don't even want to cook for myself. I don't want to make small talk with anyone. And until I can permanently live by the ocean, I will have to travel to get my break.

When I'm near the ocean, it starts to work its magic and I start to feel refreshed and human again. I want to learn and explore. I want to do something! I want to feel like a living, breathing, functioning, intelligent adult, rather than a zombie servant.

Out of all my travels, I would say that 1 in 8 trips is a solo adventure. It's about balance. Sure, I love being with other people, I love showing my kids the world, attending sporting events and being a fun mom and taking "vacations" but I really do cherish the opportunity to work on myself. I believe that when I get the chance to get away and get refocused,  I can be a better mom, spouse, business owner etc, when I get back.

There is a proverb, that I will paraphrase, that resonates with me. "You can not pour for others, from your own empty cup."




Have you taken a solo trip recently? Love it or hate it?  Let's hear from you in the comments!





No comments:

Post a Comment