Saturday, October 3, 2015

Fast 5 Travel Tips: How to completely waste your vacation time

We all agree, vacation time is precious. Here are a few ways travellers waste their vacation time. Feel free to comment and add to this list:


Nod your head if you're guilty of any of these;  then vow to change your ways!

1.  Staying in your hotel room to use the WIFI to check Facebook, replying to messages and/or anything that lures you into work or makes you lose track of time.  If you're going to spend all your vacation time in the virtual world, you may as well have just vacationed in your parents' basement.

2.  Running around trying to find the perfect souvenirs for everyone. Trinkets without memories are practically worthless. The solution is easy... don't buy souvenirs.

3.  Trying to see everything and racing through the attractions so much so that you really don't SEE or EXPERIENCE anything.

4.  Trying to replicate a travel experience from a guidebook or travel blog. Have your own authentic experience. Enjoy YOUR own moment! No one sees things or experiences it quite like you do.

5. Giving a social media play-by-play. Getting 'likes' shouldn't affect the way you enjoy or remember your vacation.  What... my selfie at Mount Rushmore only got 3 likes? How uncool. Stupid Mount Rushmore! Better up my selfie game. What if I just pet this bear cub...






2 comments:

  1. Ok, so mostly: Agreed. But.....;) I love updating Social Media. It's something I enjoy to relax like some people like reading or suntanning, or raising Alpacas. I mostly do it for *me* though as I treat Facebook like a digital scrapbook of my life. (since I am way too ADD to actually physically scrapbook...oh hey, look at those neat Alpaca stickers over there....) My mother does printed picture albums when she returns from her trips, I just like to do mine as I go so I don't forget things.. (SQUIRREL) I loved that the WiFi at our resort in The Bahamas reached all the way to the edge of the ocean so I could click pics of it to send home to my kids and my peeps real-time. I was pretty devastated when I forgot to take my new iPhone 6 out of my bathing suit bra and took it for a swim in the ocean at Gold Rock Beach. Thank goodness I had my iPad with me as well for Social Media Addiction Back Up!!;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the debate! Thank you for the feedback! I would argue tho that including Facebook along for the in-the-moment update could diminish your private enjoyment of the moment, and perhaps raise security risks. However, that all really depends on where you are, who your friends are and who you're with. For me, personally, and having a very public job, I heavily guard my private time. And my favourite private time is on vacation.

    However, I am all about the public review and sharing, post-event.

    ReplyDelete