Monday, July 27, 2015

Fast 5 Travel Tips: Pack like a mom


I travel light. I've even taken my family to Hawaii for 8 days without ever checking a bag. And you'll never find me on a suitcase shaming site trying to shove an oversized bag into the overhead bin.

While I don't know everything, and I'll never claim to,  I can sure help the travel newbie.

5 things to pack for EVERY trip:

1. Basic family first aid kit. Make sure to bring any medication you need. Make sure everything is in its original packaging and properly labeled.




2. Snacks. Even if you are travelling to an all inclusive resort, I always make sure to pack granola bars, almonds and trail mix for the flight, the airport delays and the 'hunger crankies' that plague kids on the sometimes exhausting travel days.  The M & M's are for me.  I could never pay $3 at the airport kiosk for my fix!  Snacks can take up very little room. This is one Ziploc sandwich bag.



3.  Distractions.  Batteries die and even kids get bored with their video games. So I always pack a deck of cards (think Go Fish or War) and a tactile puzzle. (See the little wire puzzle.) You can pick up one of these mind bender puzzles at any toy store for about $9. They are deceptively simple and sometimes frustrating, both are awesome qualities and challenge you and the kids in ways you will enjoy. Road trips or airport lounges, these wire puzzles get passed around and around. Everyone loves them and asks me where to get them or even if they can buy it from me. Hours of old school fun!


4. Pack something that makes you feel fashionable and fun. It's YOUR vacation too. And don't forget the hat and sunscreen. You need to model good sun habits for your kids. 



5. Pack a camera. Any camera! And have it with you at all times. Some of the impromptu experiences and sudden joys will be what makes the trip most memorable.  And please print photos when you get home. At least a few! Because we have all heard the stories of broken phones, lost cameras and stolen memories. Don't lose yours. 

I love scenes and signs. Brings back great vacation memories! 


No comments:

Post a Comment