Sunday, February 8, 2015

Fast Five: Things I've learnt recently

Every time you travel you learn something about your destination, and also yourself.






1. Art and beauty is everywhere. You just have to open your eyes and slow down. Oh yeah, and put your damn phone away.

2. There is no substitute for a good quality pair of shoes. Shoes can start a conversation. Shoes can put a bounce in your step and take you on adventures. Uncomfortable shoes can ruin your day and change the way you feel.

3. I'm not an Asian size 5. It's a funny story from a street market in Hawaii that was selling sundresses. The vendor, who spoke broken english, asked me what size I wear. I said 'size 5'. From that point forward she was screeching at me "you NO size 5! You maybe size 7. You NO size 5!"  Just imagine my shock as I stood in the street. She whipped out a measuring tape and lassoed my waist. Shaking her head, she muttered about a size 7 or a size 10.  I forced a smile and walked away. She hollered after me, for all to hear.... "why you No buy from me, big hips?"  In my defence, the shorts I was wearing that day were a size 5. But she's probably right, not a made-in-china size 5 or a size 5 from any of the mismatched seconds that were for sale on the cart.  My big hips saved me a few dollars that day. LOL

4. I like a weekend in the big city. (Like Denver) But, a weekend is probably enough. I'm really more a vacation-on-the-beach kind of person.

5. I can't assume everyone wants a bargain holiday or wants to travel as much as I do. Some people want to indulge and live life fully and are quite willing and able to pay handsomely. I respect that. I'm just not there.

No comments:

Post a Comment