Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Blushing with pride.

So I sit down next to my son, as he is talking to a friend between games at their hockey tournament, and I overhear my son saying, "my mom plans the best trips. We went to Florida and didn't even go to Disney World and it was still the best time. She knows how to find all the coolest hotels (Hyatt Grand Cypress Orlando) and usually pretty cheap."

Turns out he was offering my services and singing my praises!

Wow! That was a pretty neat feeling to hear my son giving me such a good reference. It has been and continues to be, one of my life's ambitions to design exciting life experiences for my family, through travel.

Later, I pressed my 9 year old son for a little bit more information. He says that we do a lot of great things together that other people (that he knows) just don't seem to do. (Like touching a space shuttle at the NASA museum in Houston.) And he thought his friend might like to do something similar, and we moms should talk.

I knows he sees me at the computer and hastily writing things into a notebook. (Yes, I use good old fashioned pencil and paper when hunting for a deal. I make myself a list of searches & prices in a notebook.) And I know he understands it's a process, but he was recognizing my efforts and that made me feel like a gold medalist.

One of my favourite things to do is to travel separately with my kids. It gives me the chance to see them as individuals and focus on their interests and their pace rather than trying to negotiate between 2 or more strong willed travellers. For example, the Disney Cruise to the Caribbean was more enjoyable for my younger son because he didn't have his older sibling teasing him and criticizing his choice of activities. The younger son got to fully enjoy his Disney experience, and therefore I was more relaxed and more satisfied with the outcome and value of the vacation.

Whereas the next trip, with the older boy, was a planes and trains adventure where we raced across the country with just our backpacks. Since he is very capable at leading, I let him take the reins. He really showed me what a logical thinker and a mature person he is becoming. Two totally different vacations, but perfectly suited to each and enjoyable.

I look forward to the day when perhaps, one of the boys will invite me on a vacation that they've researched and designed.  Until then, I will continue on researching and reading and planning adventures, knowing that I am leaving a lasting impression, and making some pretty cool memories with my kids.

1 comment: