Sunday, August 3, 2014

Fast Five: Things I learnt travelling with a pre-teen

I recently took my son on an adventure across three Canadian provinces in four days. We took a plane, a train and an automobile! We also walked at least 20 kms seeing the city sights.

I didn't yell once.

Things I learnt on this amazing adventure.

1. He does listen in school. There were Canadian facts about war and politics (grade 6 history stuff) that he brought up in conversation when we were in Ottawa. Wow.

2. He's well mannered.  He can charm a front desk clerk and make friends with a concierge. I think he's more of a preferred guest than I am! LOL

3. He understands the value and place of a gratuity. "Mom, do you have a $5? It's ok, I do. I'll get this one." (Tips hotel shuttle driver.)

4. He's not big on taking photos. Making memories... yes. Actually taking the photo? No. Taking a photo of mom out in public? Heck no. Ok, maybe one. But it's going to be quick and blurry and I'm definitely not waiting for you to smile or put your purse down.  I think this is why selfies came to be.

5. Feed him regularly! Again, I fall back on my best travel advice... have a fruit bar or granola bar in your purse. They come in handy on every vacation & keep the good times rolling.

Would I take him on a solo trip again? YES!!! Again and again and again. I had such a great time and had the chance to appreciate what a capable human he is. Made me feel like a capable parent too. I must be doing something right.

Picture of me on vacation. Taken by you-know-who.



And back to the selfies. LOL




No comments:

Post a Comment