Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Our Amazing Adventure: Part 8 The Food

I have a rule when I travel. No chain restaurants if at all possible. Oh, but I know that's a major challenge when travelling with children.... someone always wants the comfort or familiarity of Subway, and they ARE on every corner in every town. But it IS possible.

I simply feel you have a more "local" and authentic travel experience when you think outside the chain. I was very proud of my son for not even asking for a mc-something at all on this trip.

In Quebec City he chose a place called "Les Trois Garcon" for breakfast. It was great! I loved their decor. We did our best to order in French. I believe, translated directly, my son asked for "an egg of the chicken, a small pig and bread that is blank." Charming, in a grade 6 french class kind of way.

Rue Saint Jean becomes a pedestrian only street each evening.
My favourite memory from the trip was our sunset dinner on Rue Saint Jean at Sapristi. It was simply the moment. My son and I laughed and debriefed the events of the day. We had no time constraints and were just hanging out. Hanging out with fabulous food, on a fabulous summer night, on a patio in a fabulous city! Our server was a warm and gracious host. We ordered dessert just to linger in the moment. Our own little french postcard memory, if you will.

I won't pretend to be a foodie or tell you what to eat. My only advice is to budget 20% more for dining than you normally would. Not because food is more expensive in Quebec, but because you will want the moment to last. You'll splurge on dessert and another drink just so you can stay a while longer.  And you'll be so glad you did!







No comments:

Post a Comment