Sunday, July 27, 2014

Our Amazing Adventure: Part 5 The Hotwire Hotel

I have used Hotwire/Expedia travel services several times for short hotel stays and I can always say that I am satisfied and receive good value for my dollar.  This time was the same, but with just a few minor hiccups.

Hotels in Old Quebec/Downtown Quebec City in the peak tourist season run between $200 and $425 per night. That, was out of my budget. If you've been following along, you know that this was a whirlwind-backpack and sneakers kind of trip. I cashed in my Air Miles for the flights and found a rock-bottom fare on the train. I was NOT going to be spending $350 per night, no matter how badly I wanted to stay at the Chateau Frontenac. (And yes, I really really really REALLY wanted to stay there. But alas was simply impossible.)

This made Hotwire.ca the perfect solution.  You choose the budget, and general location and Hotwire chooses the hotel. You don't know where you will stay, until it is 100% paid and booked. This works for me (and millions of others) because the rate is approximately 40-50% less.

In this case, I paid $95 per night for a 3star hotel. I got the Best Western City Centre. Reviews were good and the general consensus of previous users was that the hotel was good value, but a less convenient location (but still acceptable) to the main tourist areas.

I agree completely. The Trip Advisor reviews were right on. (I have ALWAYS found this an excellent source for relevant and timely hotel information.)

The hiccups at this hotel occurred with their service. When we checked in, I very cheerfully and politely presented my ID, my confirmation number and my credit card (for incidentals). I then politely asked if we indeed had a room with 2 double beds. The answer was no. The clerk then spoke with his supervisor who went off on an angry tirade in french about "those Hotwire people."

I guess I forgot to mention I might not speak fluently in french, but my comprehension is pretty darn good. "C'est la vie.... that's life." I wasn't going to worry about anyone's attitude as long as I had a clean and safe place to stay with my son. Which I did.

The view from our room. 
We were assigned a room with a king size bed and a view of the back alley. The room, and everything about the hotel was very modern and well kept, as you can see by the photos. The cafe was fabulous. The service there was outstanding. The barista made my coffee with love, smiled at my son's broken french and treated us very nicely. Their coffee selection was excellent and delicious.

The hotel pool was dark and small. The restaurant was not open for lunch. There was no free continental breakfast either. I thought most Best Westerns included some sort of breakfast, but that was not the case here. The maid service was non-existent. And though we asked the bell man twice for a cab, a cab never did come for us. We had to walk about 3/4 of a kilometre before we hit the tourist areas, and it was uphill (Don't laugh, not a joke. It was!) but it was all fine by us.

In summary, I think we did alright in this category. We received half the service, but also paid half the regular rate. The hotel was a good home base for our sneakers and backpack vacation. We were out exploring the city from sun up to sun down anyway. AND, best of all, it was in budget.

Overall I would rate it a 7 out of 10. My son would give it an 8. He liked the free WiFi. He says it would have been better with a bigger pool and/or a waterslide, and a free breakfast. I of course agree with him. Smart kid!


The hotel cafe was open to 11pm and also served light snacks.

Cappuccino, made with love. 


No comments:

Post a Comment