Saturday, July 26, 2014

Our Amazing Adventure: Part 1 The Inspiration

My son and I were watching the first episode of the second season of The Amazing Race Canada, on CTV,  and he blurts out, "we could totally do that!" And I thought, of course we could. And since I've always been the kind of person to put action to my words, I started thinking and then researching and then scheming. Before long I had a plan... a top secret plan!

Since I am passionate about travel, and have already taken my kids on more than a dozen trips, I knew I had the skills. A quick check of my Air Miles balance, and I knew I had the miles for 2 short haul flights. I had previously blogged about the Via Rail kids' special and was aware of the fantastic bargains on summer travel so therefore I knew I had to incorporate that into our adventure as well.

It has always been one of my parenting goals to show my kids our vast and incredible country. To this point I have succeed in showing them all the western provinces plus a bit of the Yukon. This time I was determined to go east.

A little re-jigging of the work schedule and I could put 4 days off together.  So that was it, I had a plan.  Plane...train...east and 4 days! Out of that framework came my goal: to show my son as much of Canada as I could in 4 days, in Amazing Race style. What a birthday surprise this would be for him!

No comments:

Post a Comment